Friday, March 30, 2012

19th Century Life in America for Women: Rural v. Urban


Background:
Now that you have had the chance to compare and contrast the lives of women in the 19th century to those of the 21st century, consider the following quotes before responding to the prompt below.

… Those who labour in the earth are the chosen people of God, if ever he has chosen people, whose breasts he has made peculiar deposit for substantial and genuine virtue.
… While we have land to labour then, let us never wish to see our citizens occupied at a workbench, or twirling a distaff. Carpenters, masons, smiths, are wanting in husbandry: but, for the general operations of manufacture, let our work-shops remain in Europe. It is better to carry provisions and materials to workmen there, then bring them to the provisions and materials, and with them their manners and principles. Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia (1785)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cotton Mill, invented in England, within the last twenty years, is a signal illustration of the general proposition, which has been just advanced. In consequence of it, all the different processes for spinning Cotton are performed by means of Machines, which are put in motion by water, and attended chiefly by women and Children; and by a smaller number of persons, in the whole, than are requisite in the ordinary mode of spinning. And it is an advantage of great moment, that the operations of this mill continue with convenience during the night as well as through the day. The prodigious effect of such a Machine is easily conceived. To this invention is to be attributed essentially the immense progress, which has been so suddenly made in Great Britain, in the various fabrics of cotton. Alexander Hamilton, Report on Manufactures (1791)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cannot believe that our factory system is the best mode by which men may get clothing. The condition of the operatives is becoming every day more like that of the English; and it cannot be wondered at, since, as far as I have heard or observed, the principal object is, not that mankind may be well and honestly clad, but, unquestionably, that the corporation may be enriched. Henry David Thoreau, Walden (1854)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As one digs deeper into the national character of the Americans, one sees that they have sought the value of everything in this world only in the answer to this single question: how much money will it bring in? Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America (1835)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Father
I get along very well with my work.  I can doff as fast as any girl in our room.  I think I shall have frames before long.  The usual time allowed for learning is six months but I think I shall have frames before I have been in three as I get along so fast.  I think that the factory is the best place for me and if any girl wants employment I advise them to come to Lowell.  I have little time to devote to writing. . . .  There are half a dozen letters which I ought to write to day but I have not time.  Tell Harriet I send my love to her and all of the girls.  Give my love to Mrs. Clement.  Tell Henry this will answer for him and you too for this time. Mary S Paul (Lowell Mill Girl-December 21, 1845)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Father
Doubtless you have been looking for a letter from me all the week past. . . .  I was unable to get my old place in the cloth room on the Suffolk or on any other corporation. . . .  So I went to my old overseer on the Tremont Cor[poration] . . . and I went to work last Tuesday--warping--the same work I used to do.
It is very hard indeed and sometimes I think I shall not be able to endure it.  I never worked so hard in my life but perhaps I shall get used to it. . . . The wages are to be reduced on the 20th of this month. . . .  The companies pretend they are losing immense sums every day and therefore they are obliged to lessen the wages, but this seems perfectly absurd to me for they are constantly making repairs and it seems to me that this would not be if there were really any danger of their being obliged to stop the mills.
It is very difficult for any one to get into the mill on any corporation.  All seem to be very full of help.  I expect to be paid about two dollars a week but it will be dearly earned. . . . Mary S Paul (Lowell Mill Girl-November 5, 1848)
Now using the quotes, previous web links, text and any other source you deem appropriate respond to the following prompt.

Which group of women: rural or urban/industrial would you chose to be a member of in the early 19th century?

Remember to use and cite illustrative historical details in your responses in order to offer evidence to support
your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment